A classic from Chilean sandwich shops, though not as popular, this dish features beef tongue cooked in vegetable broth, without its skin. The tongue is then sliced and grilled before being combined with a delicious Chilean marraqueta roll.
How to make Beef Tongue Sandwich?
When making a beef tongue sandwich, ensure you have a good, fresh product ready for cooking. Then, follow the instructions below, and enjoy!
Category: Typical Sandwiches
Vitamins: A, B2, B3, B6, C, K
Minerals: Iron, Magnesium
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 120 minutes
Servings: 2 people
Homemade Beef Tongue Sandwich Recipe
- 1 beef tongue
- 2 cups of green beans
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 marraqueta rolls
- 1 ripe tomato
- Extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot, add the beef tongue, oregano, parsley stems, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 120 minutes or in a pressure cooker for 60 minutes. Remove from the water, remove the skin from the tongue, and slice it to 1 centimeter thickness.
- In a hot pan or griddle, add a few drops of oil and brown the beef tongue on both sides. Keep it warm.
- Chop the green beans and cook them in a pot with boiling water and salt for 3 minutes. Remove from the hot water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and preserve the color.
- Cut the marraqueta rolls in half and heat them in a toaster. Arrange the beef tongue slices on the bread and top them with tomatoes, green beans, and bell peppers. Add mayonnaise to taste, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a few drops of oil, and cover the sandwich with the other half of the marraqueta roll.
- Serve the beef tongue sandwich immediately, either alone or with a hot beverage like tea or coffee.
Tips for preparing beef tongue
During the beef tongue’s cooking, you can use any herbs or aromatics of your choice, depending on what you have on hand, such as celery, bay leaves, or mint, to enhance the flavor and obtain a tasty beef broth.
Did you know?
Once cooled and cooked, you can store beef tongue in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you wish to freeze the meat, use a suitable bag or container to keep it for up to 3 months. Just be sure to thaw it the night before consumption.